Yvonne's top 10 things to do for March and April
1. THE Gold Coast Jazz and Blues Club presents Emma Pask and Trio. Singing with her high school band at 14, Emma Pask was first discovered by famed Australian jazz musician James Morrison in 1994 at age 16. Since then, Emma has been the vocal feature with the bands of James Morrison. Performance starts at 7.30pm in the Paradise Showroom, The Arts Centre Gold Coast. Cost for jazz club members and Friends of The Arts Centre $25, visitors $30. Call Box Office on (07) 5588 4000 or visit www.goldcoastjazzclub.com.
2. THE Gold Coast International Boat Show & Marine Expo is a family friendly event for boat lovers and enthusiasts attracting hundreds of major marine brands and exhibitors. Staged in Coomera at the Gold Coast Marine Precinct, this marine showcase features more than 600 boats on display from luxury yachts to lightweight tenders, jet skis and kayaks to engines, boating accessories and a huge array of equipment. The boat show also offers live educational events and interactive demonstrations, factory tours and live entertainment. From 9am to 4pm, Friday to Sunday. Cost adults $15, children under 12 free. Details: Emma Brown firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. FIND out how you can shop around for a better electricity deal. Join us for a free interactive public session from 11am to midday at the Southport Library hosted by COTA Queensland and delivered by trained volunteer peer educators. This session will cover understanding your electricity bill, how to shop around for a better electricity deal and how to get involved with COTA Queensland. For details or to book, contact COTA Queensland on email@example.com or phone 1300 738 348.
March 31 to April 16:
4. BLEACH* Festival showcases the best of the Gold Coast in a three-week celebration of all things arts and culture. This year Bleach* has curated an absolutely stellar music line-up that reflects the essence of the coast, with events that are sure to pique the interest of every music lover. The festival showcases the best of the Gold Coast's venues and brings its beautiful outdoor spaces to life in a series of tailor-made music events and collaborations. Details at bleachfestival.com.au.
5. GOLD Coast Fishing Fanatics and the City of Gold Coast are hosting a day of family fun at South and West Lake, 45 Ron Penhaligon Way, Robina, starting at 6am. The day aims to remove tilapia and other introduced fish (goldfish, koi and European carp) from the lakes while raising awareness of further issues affecting water quality. Details at 1300 GOLDCOAST (1300 465 326).
6. COMEDIAN, Anh Do's bestselling book The Happiest Refugee has made readers laugh and cry, and was described by Russell Crowe as "the most surprising and inspiring read I have had in years”. Anh's stage show takes it a step further, combining stand-up comedy with real life stories, photos and filmed pieces to retell his amazing story. The result is an unforgettable night at the theatre that leaves an audience uplifted and quite simply experiencing... happiness. Show starts 8pm at Jupiters Gold Coast on Casino Dr, Broadbeach. Tickets $59.90. Book with Ticketek on 132 849.
April 19 to 30:
7. WALK the red carpet on opening night alongside actors, filmmakers and film crew. Learn from Australia's leading producers, writers and directors in intimate seminars and workshops. At the Gold Coast Film Festival, you will be captivated by internationally acclaimed dramas, comedies and genre films, locally made indie gems, engaging documentaries, family features, anime and the scariest horror films. With more than 80 film and film-related events in eight different locations, the Gold Coast Film Festival is a celebration of film and film-making. At The Arts Centre Gold Coast, 135 Bundall Rd,
Surfers Paradise. Details at www.gcfilmfestival.com.
8. THE Gold Coast Bulletin Fun Run isn't just a fun run, it's a fun run festival that starts and finishes at one of the Gold Coast's most iconic venues, Cbus Super Stadium. Gold Coast Bulletin Fun Run features five distinct race distances, catering to everyone from the serious half marathon runner, to mums and dads who just want to get the kids out and have some family fun. From 6am to 12pm at Cbus Stadium, Stadium Drive, Robina. Details at www.gcbfunrun.com.au.
April 28 to 30:
9. AUSTRALIAN electro pop goddesses The Veronicas will spearhead a star-studded line-up for the third LIVE festival, which transforms the centre of Surfers Paradise into a free, family-friendly multi-stage street festival with the iconic beach as the unique backdrop. An initiative of the Surfers Paradise Alliance, Surfers Paradise LIVE features an impressive mix of Australian musicians performing across two main outdoor stages on The Esplanade and in Cavill Avenue over three days and nights, with smaller and more intimate gigs played at live music venues throughout the precinct. For the first time, the Surfers Paradise Alliance has partnered with the Gold Coast Music Awards which will see the awards ceremony take place on Surfers Paradise beach on the eve of the festival, April 27. Details: www.surfersparadise.com.
10. GUANABA Charity Day selects a children's charity located on the Gold Coast and raises funds towards specific needs that they may have. This year we are fundraising for Sailability Gold Coast. Sailability is a recognised charity and receives no government funding. The principal purpose of this organisation is to facilitate sailing and boating, in all forms, for people with disabilities. Please join us in our support for Sailability Gold Coast at Heritage Park from: 10am-6pm, 193 Rifle Range Rd, Pimpama. Details: Sophia Rogers, Guanaba Country Music Club at firstname.lastname@example.org.