Winter Ball to start Sunshine Coast's 50th festivities
GET set to party next year.
The Sunshine Coast name will be officially 50 years old on August 1, and Sunshine Coast Mayor Mark Jamieson and Noosa's Tony Wellington have already had top level talks about getting together to observe this historic event.
A Winter Ball in August will be followed by five months of festivities and community groups and organisations have been invited by Cr Jamieson to apply for grants of up to $20,000.
In Noosa, Cr Wellington reports the council has established a working group to decide how Noosa will celebrate.
The name "The Sunshine Coast" was first mooted in August 1959 at a Real Estate Queensland dinner in Hotel Perle at Caloundra.
Previously, the region was known as the "Near North Coast."
Acceptance of the name, however, didn't happen overnight.
It took seven years of carrying the torch for a name change with promotions like the Rotary Club of Nambour's little caravan with its free maps and brochures, proclaiming itself "The Doorway to the Sunshine Coast".
In November 1966 the name was formally endorsed by Landsborough, Maroochy and Noosa councils.
The following year, on July 14, it was given the nod of approval by Queensland Premier Sir Frank Nicklin at the REIQ conference at the Caloundra Hotel, Caloundra, and on August 1, 1967 officially accepted by the Queensland Place Names Board.