Don Burchill OAM lead last year's convoy as they headed back along The Esplanade to Scarness as part of their scooter convoy record attempt.
Don Burchill OAM lead last year's convoy as they headed back along The Esplanade to Scarness as part of their scooter convoy record attempt. Alistair Brightman

Wheels in action to set scooter convoy record

THE residents of Hervey Bay and the wider Wide Bay region are on a mission to set a national record for the longest convoy of mobility scooter and wheelchair riders.

On Saturday, organisers of the record attempt are calling on riders congregate at The Esplanade at Scarness from 8.30am for the record attempt.

It has been 10 years since local riders first took to the Hervey Bay foreshore in 2006 to enter into history, with the aim of setting a Guinness World Record title for the longest convoy of riders.

It took another three years, but the Fraser Coast achieved this goal in 2009 with 126 participants and held the title for the next two years before it was taken away by the Netherlands.

Since that time, the region has come close to regaining the world title several times but never quite made it.

The current Guinness World Record, at 158 scooter and wheelchair riders, is held by the Canadian town of Victoriaville.

 

 

Participants in last year's scooter convoy record attempt in Hervey Bay.
Participants in last year's scooter convoy record attempt in Hervey Bay. Alistair Brightman

A decade on and the Hervey Bay Safe Scooter Committee, which organises of the annual convoy, have decided to readjust the event format and strive for a national record instead.

Event organiser Juls de Waard said that the new rules and guidelines set by Guinness World Record made it difficult to try and achieve the original goal.

"As much as we would have liked to try again this year, it's now become beyond our reach, so we wanted to do continue on a smaller scale with a goal that is achievable," she said.

"We are hoping to get as many mobility scooters and wheelchair riders as possible together this year to set an Australian record that we can use to challenge other areas for future events."

The 2016 Scooter/Wheelchair Convoy will be held on Saturday, September 17.

Registration starts from 8.30am and the convoy will leave at 9.30am from Scarness Park.

The event also includes food stalls and entertainment.

"Mobility scooters and wheelchairs are essential for someone has mobility issues and would like to maintain some independence, but safety is of utmost importance," said Ms de Waard.

"The convoy is a wonderful social event but it also provides an opportunity to promote the importance of safety on a larger scale."


Meghan, Harry ‘struggling to cope’ in LA

Meghan, Harry ‘struggling to cope’ in LA

Dream of a blissful new life has quickly turned into a nightmare

Fresh confusion over virus 'detention'

Fresh confusion over virus 'detention'

Thousands of Melbourne public housing residents have been provided with "detention...

Man in iconic 9/11 photo dies from virus

Man in iconic 9/11 photo dies from virus

This man miraculously survived the 9/11 terror attacks