WHAT'S ON: Events not to miss on the Gold Coast
- HEALTH Harmony Soul Gold Coast is held in the arena at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre. This health, well-being and spirituality festival features more than 100 exhibitors plus a popular psychic reader's room. Leaders and specialists in these fields come together at Health Harmony Soul to share their knowledge, products and services. Book a psychic reading, browse and enjoy free seminars, performances, workshops and yoga/meditation classes throughout the three days. Details at healthharmonysoul.com.au.
- WHETHER you are Romanian or not, come along and experience the amazing traditional foods, Romanian music and traditional costumes on display at the Romanian Unification Day. Bring a hat, a smile and spend a family day outdoors at the beautiful Broadwater, as well as have a taste of our lovely culture. From 10am to 4pm at Broadwater Parklands, Marine Pde, Southport. Cost is free. Details at www.unirea.org.au.
- WHAT else should a country music club located on the beautiful Gold Coast do on this national day of celebration but have a party? Come along dressed as someone who enjoys our Aussie lifestyle and is ready to celebrate our wonderful lifestyle and our Australia. Everyone is welcome to attend from 11am to 4pm at Heritage Park, 193 Rifle Range Rd, Pimpama. Cost $5. Details Guanaba Country Music Club phone 0427253547.
- JOIN the celebration that unites our nation at the Gold Coast Australia Day event at Broadwater Parklands, featuring a spectacular fireworks display. Pack your picnic rug, gather your friends and family and head down to Broadwater Parklands in the cool of the afternoon for an evening celebration that includes the food truck feast, Aussie Sporting Zone and local musicians. The celebration runs from 4pm to 8pm at The Great Lawn, Broadwater Parklands, Southport. This is an alcohol-free event. Details 0755815286.
- COME and spend your Aussie Day arvo at Australia's best bowlo! There's free barefoot bowls between noon and 5pm and live music from 2pm, plus an annual thong-throwing competition. There will also be monster raffles from 7pm. Cost is free. At Club Helensvale, 20-28 Discovery Dr, Helensvale. Details 0755731491.
- CHINESE New Year street festival from 5pm to 8pm at Links Hope Island Golf Club, Springfield Dr, Hope Island. Celebrate the Year of the Rooster in vibrant colour at Hope Island's inaugural Community Street Festival. Authentic Chinese entertainers including string quartet, singers, flautist, tai chi sword dance, Chinese massage, cultural activities and Chinese street food. There will be plenty for the kids to do at the Little Wonderland, with a chopstick competition, calligraphy and dumpling-making classes. Cost free. Details 0755309048.
- LINE dancing for beginners will be commencing on January30. Free lessons for novice beginners. Learn to line dance for fun, relaxation and exercise. All ages and you don't need a partner. Monday and Wednesdays: 9.30am Beginners, 10.30am Early Intermediate and 11.15am Intermediate at Parkwood/Arundel Community Centre, Napper Rd, Arundel/Parkwood. Available for functions, corporate/private, parties and demos. Dallas Line Dancers, phone 0403225313.
February 4 and 8
- FOLLOWING their hit run on Broadway, Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart return to the West End stage in Harold Pinter's No Man's Land, broadcast live to cinemas from Wyndham's Theatre, London. One summer's evening, two aging writers, Hirst and Spooner, meet in a Hampstead pub and continue their drinking into the night at Hirst's stately house nearby.
The broadcast will be followed by an exclusive Q&A with the cast and director Sean Mathias. Two shows at the Gold Coast Arts Centre - Saturday, February 4, at 3pm, and Wednesday, February 8, at 10am. Details at theartscentre gc.com.au.
- SPOTLIGHT THEATRE presents Saturday Night Fever the Musical on Wednesday, February 8, at 7.30pm at Ashmore Rd, Benowa. Cost $25 including supper. Based on the 1970s cult film that launched John Travolta's career, Saturday Night Fever will transport you back to the time of flared pants, platform shoes and discos.
Featuring the Bee Gees' classics hits Night Fever, Stayin' Alive, How Deep is Your Love, More Than a Woman and many more hits. The story is of 19-year-old Tony Manero who lives a dull life until he hits the dance floor. A tale of love and passion that will leave you disco dancing all night. The charity is Townsville's Reef Aquarium Turtle Hospital.
- THE 2017 Sand Safari Arts Festival will take centre stage on the sands of Surfers Paradise. The popular free event features the Australian Sand Sculpting Championships, drawing thousands of spectators to admire the country's most talented sculptors as they intricately carve life-sized masterpieces inspired by the theme Mermaids and Mythical Creatures across three days from February 10-12. Cost free. Details Surfers Paradise Alliance 07 5577 6500.
- HUMAN Nature, Australia's top-selling pop vocal group and Las Vegas headliners, effortlessly blend retro cool with contemporary sounds. The Ultimate Jukebox Tour takes audiences on an unforgettable journey through the musical genres and the guys' 26-year career.
Starting with the classics of the doo-wop era, Human Nature and their seven-piece band pay tribute to the legends of pop, motown and soul. At Jupiters Gold Coast, doors open 7pm, showtime 8pm. Details www.jupitersgoldcoast .com.au.
February 18 to April 9
- WORKS by world-renowned urban artists Banksy and Bambi will feature in the upcoming Signs of the Time street art exhibition developed by Gold Coast City Gallery. Signs of the Time brings a major collection of street art exclusively to the Gold Coast, including international, national and local urban artists from the collection of Ken McGregor and commissioned work. This is a free exhibition at Gold Coast City Gallery, The Arts Centre, Gold Coast. Details 5588 4000.
- 19TH ANNUAL Gold Coast Super Swap Meet - Show N Shine is on March 19. At the Country Paradise Parklands, Nerang Beaudesert Rd, just 2km west of Nerang. Set-up is from 12pm Saturday with entry at the back gate on Billabirra Cres. Look for signs on the Nerang Beaudesert Rd.
Entry is from 6am on Sunday. The public and Show N Shine entry is at the front gate on Nerang Beaudesert Rd, from 6am Sunday. Cost for adults is $5 each and kids under-12 are free when accompanied by adult. Swap sites, which are $10 each including driver are open to all vintage and classic cars and parts, antiques, collectables, model cars, motoring books, etc.
Trade sites cost $25. Pre-booked undercover sites are available for $30 to $35. No booking is required for outside sites. Show N Shine is open to all makes and models of cars and commercials. Over 20 trophies are up for grabs for restored and modified vehicles. Entry for the Best Club Attendance Trophy as well as the Show N Shine entry is $5 for display only and $5 extra for judging. All cars must be on-site by 9am for judging.
Caterers will be on site. Details call 0449 997 149.