Walk the Spanish hills for a worthwhile cause
STRETCH out the legs on a fabulous walking adventure in Spain and help raise funds for the Parkinson's research group Shake It Up.
The Camino for a Cure walk is on in September 2018.
The meeting point is Spain's capital city, Madrid, where the group start its adventure with a guided tour of the city exploring its past and present.
From there the group will embark on the Camino de Santiago, walking Sarria to Santiago, trekking under the shade of old oak trees into peaceful hamlets set against the rolling green backdrop of Galicia.
Each night there will be lots of Spain's colourful culture and cuisine to enjoy.
On what other adventure can you follow in the footsteps of the Romans, the Knights Templar, pilgrims and modern-day adventurers to Santiago de Compostela?
Every step you take will help you raise vital funds for Shake It Up and it search to find a cure for Parkinson's.
What will my impact be?
The commitment is for 100 per cent of the funds raised on Camino for a Cure will be directed to Parkinson's research in Australia.
Tour organiser Inspired Adventures said this is made possible by the founding directors' commitment to cover all administration costs. In addition, all funds raised will be matched dollar for dollar by the Michael J. Fox Foundation to fund internationally competitive Parkinson's research in Australia.
- Parkinson's is the second most common neurological disease in Australia after dementia.
- The disease affects an estimated five million individuals worldwide - 80,000 in Australia.
- 32 Australians are diagnosed with the disease every day.
- 20 per cent of sufferers are under 50 years old and 10 per cent diagnosed before the age of 40.
- For comparison purposes the prevalence of Parkinson's is greater than prostate, bowel and many other forms of cancer and the total number of Parkinson's sufferers is 4 times the number of people suffering with MS.
Fast tour facts
- Tour dates: September 15 to 24, 2018.
- Registration fee: $770 (non-refundable).
- Fundraising target: $4000 (excludes travel).
- Travel cost: $2,999* (land only), including taxes.
- Trip duration: 10 days.
- Challenge duration: 5 days.
- Accommodation: twin-share in three-star hotels and guesthouses.
- Minimum age: 18 (younger ages considered on application).
Shake It Up Australia Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation established in 2011 and in partnership with The Michael J. Fox Foundation (MJFF) promotes and funds Parkinson's disease research in Australia aimed at finding better treatments and ultimately care. For more information on Shake It Up, go to shakeitup.org.au.
For more tour information, ring 1300 905 188 or go to https://inspiredadventures.com.au/