Tweed Mayor calls for ongoing Anzac effort
TWEED Mayor Katie Milne has called for residents to continue to honour the Anzac tradition on Saturday, despite COVID-19 restrictions.
RSL NSW made the decision to cancel all Anzac Day commemorations in 2020 due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. This is consistent with the approach of the NSW and Australian governments.
"These are challenging times for many people but we can be creative to ensure Australian servicemen and women throughout the ages are appropriately remembered. We can come together even though we are apart to honour their great sacrifice," Cr Milne said.
"Many current and returned servicemen and women who live in the Tweed will be missing the support and camaraderie they usually experience at local Anzac Day services, so let's show them our Anzac spirit and that we still care and honour them."
RSL NSW has a list of suggestions which include:
1. Record yourself reciting The Ode or sharing a message of support for our veterans. Respond 'going' to the Anzac Day 2020 Facebook event. Then use the hashtag #anzacspirit and share how you'll be commemorating privately, as well as who you'll be remembering this Anzac Day.
2. Light up the dawn. At 6am on Anzac Day, go to the end of your driveway or stand on your balcony and listen to a brief commemorative service. You can sign the pledge to light up the dawn at www.rslnsw.org.au/anzac-spirit/
3. Tune into live commemorative services. The ABC will be broadcasting a 5.30am service from the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. A live broadcast from the Anzac Memorial in Sydney will be available from 10am on ABC radio and television.
4. Reach out to a mate who might be alone. Many people are alone during this time of isolation. It's an opportunity to invoke the Anzac value of mateship and check to see how a mate is doing.
5. Donate to the Anzac Appeal online at anzacappeal.com.au. Donations support Australian veterans and their families in need. Donations in NSW support services provided by RSL DefenceCare and Veteran Sport Australia.
For more information visit https://www.rslnsw.org.au/