Top tips for reverse parking your caravan
REVERSE parking your caravan for the first time, particularly when one or more people are watching, has to be one of the most stressful experiences in your life.
Luckily RACQ has the following top tips to help you look like a professional, once you have mastered these tips.
- Spend time getting familiar with the basics of reversing a caravan before you set out on a trip.
- Get yourself a person to help guide you into the parking area.
- Find a large space, such as an empty carpark, and try reversing the caravan into one of the spaces. This will help you to get a handle on which direction to turn the steering wheel.
- Remember - when reversing a caravan is that to move right you need to turn the steering wheel to the left and vice versa.
- Before reversing into a site, take a moment to look around the area for low branches or other debris that could get in the way.
- One of the easiest ways to swing the caravan into a site is to ensure that the site is on the right-hand side of the car.
- If you are not feeling confident and don't have a fellow traveller to give you directions, you could try asking another caravaner for assistance.
Reversing cameras are a great help when reversing; we use them every day in cars so why not with your caravan.
Avoid using them for all your decisions as some cameras may not pick up objects at ground-level or overhead.
Don't forget to get plenty of practise reverse parking before you head off on your exciting adventure.
Before you head out on the road, here's a few more tips from RACQ -