Tips to manage increased security at Aussie airports
AIRPORT security measures have heightened at all major Australian domestic and international airports following an alleged terror plot to detonate a bomb on a plane.
Increased security means longer waits, travel disruption and, usually, flared tempers.
But don't worry! Seniors News has you covered on what the heightened security measures mean to you and how best to handle the disruption.
The new security measures:
The Australian Government has advised travellers to:
- Arrive at the airport at least two hours before domestic flights and at least three hours before international flights
- Limit carry on and checked luggage to ensure efficient and timely security screening
- Expect extra scrutiny and delays when passing through security screening
- There are no changes to what can and cannot be carried on-board the aircraft
Seniors News suggestions:
- Get stuck into reading that book you have struggled to find time to enjoy. Most airport bookshops have great book deals on every day.
- Once you have checked through security, take the time to stretch out by walking gently around the concourse.
- Strike up a conversation with a stranger and find out something new for the day.
- Buy a colouring-in book and pencils, and let the waiting stress flow out through your creativity.
- STOW THE KNITTING NEEDLES!! If you really must indulge your passion for all things wool, pack it in your luggage, NOT your carry on. You don't want them confiscated at security.
- That goes for any liquids you may be carrying. There is nothing more annoying than being held up by somebody who really needed their toothpaste with them at all times.
Find more information about the security measures
For more information on the extent of the airport security measures across Australia, please visit the below airport links:
Brisbane - http://www.bne.com.au
Melbourne - http://melbourneairport.com.au
Perth - https://www.perthairport.com.au
Sydney - https://www.sydneyairport.com.au
Hobart - https://hobartairport.com.au