Taking My Health Record on the Road
CARSELDINE retirees Peter Button and Cathy Zappala join a legion of grey nomads taking their health on the road with My Health Record.
Cathy suffers from chronic health issues and has been using My Health Record for many years to keep all her health information in one place and easily accessible for her treating doctors, specialists and hospitals.
"The benefits of My Heath Record at my age are undeniable. My wife and I are about to set off on a trip around Australia in our motorhome and we plan to rely solely on My Health Record to contain all our health information" Peter said.
"We don't need to worry about remembering health records from years ago and feel confident that we will receive the same level of care with a new GP compared to our usual one. I don't understand why you wouldn't have one."
My Health Record is a secure online summary of your health information. You can control what goes into it, and who is allowed to access it. You can choose to share your health information with your doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers.
In emergency situations, treating doctors have been able to use My Health Record to view information such as current medications and Advance Care Plans to provide the appropriate treatment quickly.
Other important things to note:
- Your important healthcare information is available in one place and easily accessible by your doctors, specialists or hospitals.
- Because healthcare providers have better access to clinical information, they have a more detailed picture to make decisions, diagnose and provide treatment.
- When moving interstate or travelling, the information can be viewed securely online.
- You don't need to remember the dates of tests or medicine names or dosages.
- For those that require assistance accessing your My Health Record, you can nominate someone to act on your behalf or ask healthcare providers involved in your care to add information to your record.
My Health Record has multi-layered and strong safeguards in place to protect your information.
By the end of this year, every Australian will get a My Health Record unless they choose not to have one, and can opt out by November 15, 2018.
For more information, go to MyHealthRecord.gov.au or phone 1800 723 471.