Support strawberry Sunday
JOIN us as we get behind Australia's strawberry farmers by indulging in the sweet favourite on Strawberry Sunday.
There are lots of ways you can enjoy your strawberries - sweet, savoury, with other food or just on their own.
Check out these three easy strawberry recipes and then head down to your local shops to buy your local farmer punnet of one of Australia's all-time favourite fruits.
- 320g strawberries, washed, hulled, halved lengthways.
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.
- 80g baby spinach leaves.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil.
- 120g King Island Dairy Bass Strait blue cheese, crumbled.
- Place the strawberries in a bowl. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and toss gently until well coated.
- Place spinach in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil, and toss gently.
- Divide spinach and strawberries among serving plates.
- Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar remaining in the bowl.
- Scatter with blue cheese to serve.
Preparation time - 15 minutes
Serves - 4
STRAWBERRY & BANANA SMOOTHIES
- 1 x 250g punnet strawberries, hulled, washed.
- 2 overripe bananas, coarsely chopped.
- 750ml (3 cups) milk.
- 260g (1 cup) vanilla-flavoured yoghurt.
- Place half the strawberries, banana, milk and yoghurt in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour evenly among 3 serving glasses.
- Repeat with the remaining strawberries, banana, milk and yoghurt.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation time - 10 minutes
Serves - 6
PORK WITH STRAWBERRY BALSAMIC SAUCE
- 250g strawberries.
- 1/4 cup (60ml) balsamic vinegar.
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar.
- 4 (about 220g each) pork cutlets.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock.
- Mixed salad leaves, dressed, to serve.
- 1/3 cup shredded basil leaves, to garnish.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Halve strawberries and place in a glass or ceramic bowl with vinegar and sugar, then set aside for 15 minutes.
- Season pork cutlets with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof frypan over medium-high heat.
- When hot, sear the cutlets until golden on both sides.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil, then rest for 5 minutes.
- Place frypan over medium heat and add stock.
- Deglaze the pan, then bring to the boil.
- Add the strawberry mixture, reduce heat to low and just heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide pork cutlets and salad leaves among serving plates.
- Top pork with sauce and sprinkle with basil.
Preparation time - 25 minutes
Cooking time - 20 minutes
Serves - 4