St Cecilia's in Wyong celebrates 100 years
ST CECILIA'S Primary School on the river at Wyong is celebrating its centenary in a variety of ways during 2016, culminating in a community celebration on Saturday, November 26, from 10am to 2pm.
The Sisters of StJoseph came to the Central Coast in 1887 and in 1910 set up what was known at that time as StJoseph Girls High School.
In 1914, the Josephite Sisters bought a house on the current site of the school with the idea of converting it into a convent.
In 1915, the sisters saw an opportunity to provide boarding accommodation for children in outlying areas.
The sisters who first taught at this school were known for their hard-working attitudes and caring natures. Sister Raymond was the first head nun appointed to StCecilia's.
In 1915, classes for this new school began in StCecilia's Church in Byron St, before moving into classrooms adjacent to the convent on the present site.
In 1988, an era ended when Sr Pauline Ferguson departed the school as principal, ending the Josephite Sisters' direct connection.
The school, however, has remained very proud of its Josephite history and continues to celebrate the positive impact the ministry has had on all people with an association with StCecilia's.
The school's lay staff has continued to maintain links with its founding sisters while also recognising the need to review approaches to the teaching of religion.
Students in 2016 are offered a broad curriculum that is embodied in Catholic beliefs and Christian values. Pupils are also engaged in units of study that heighten their awareness of various social justice issues and are encouraged to live their faith through words and deeds.
In addition to the modern academic curriculum, the school has a long history of musicality that embodies the ethos of the school's patron saint, namely StCecilia.
Past students will find many differences in the appearance of the school. There is a new administration block as well as a new hall. These additions have increased the available classrooms and the school now has only one demountable room and this is used for music.
At the 75th celebration of the school, a time capsule was buried and this will be unearthed and another capsule buried for another 25 years.