SPORT: Rugby Tens heaven for Brisbane
FEBRUARY is the month to hit the streets if you love a party, especially over the weekend of February 11 and 12.
Queensland is set to host the inaugural Brisbane Global Rugby Tens tournament at Suncorp Stadium and its going to be big.
A blockbuster weekend of world class rugby featuring 14 of the best teams from around the globe means the city will put on its festive hat.
Ten Australian and New Zealand Super Rugby clubs and four elite invitational teams including famed French team Toulon (playing in Australia for the first time ever), the Bulls, Samoa and the Panasonic Wild Knights will compete in 28 matches over the two days - all up, 16 hours of compelling live rugby that will also signal the beginning of the Super Rugby season.
The Brisbane Global Rugby Tens will shine the light firmly on Brisbane and the thrill of a major sporting tournament.
It doesn't matter if you are not a fan or have failed to get tickets, the city itself will be in party-mode with bars and restaurants and public spaces all donning team colours, staging special events, creating signature drink and menu specials, paying tribute in music.
The Brisbane Global Rugby Tens is a world class event featuring a number of firsts:
- It is the first elite, international Tens Tournament involving prizemoney and participation fees of $1.6m;
- The French super team Toulon will play in Australia for the first time;
- It is the only time fans will see all Australian and all NZ Super Rugby franchises in one place at one time;
- The event will star the largest collection of current star rugby players (300+) in one place at one time, outside the Rugby World Cup;
- It is the only elite level rugby tournament to have a "wild card" element - allowing former legends to turn out for their clubs.
- It is the first time ever a two-day event at Suncorp has been held.
ABOUT THE GLOBAL RUGBY TENS
To be held annually, the event is sanctioned by the Australian Rugby Union and New Zealand Rugby and will be broadcast live across Australia, New Zealand, UK, Japan, Africa, France and other major international markets.
Featuring a similar structure to the 15-a-side game but with more space on field for players to showcase their skills, Tens rugby is the perfect format for what will be a hugely entertaining launch of the Super Rugby season in Brisbane for at least the next four years.
For all event details, go brisbaneglobaltens.com