Electricity & gas savings offered to Qld seniors
THE Queensland Government is offering a new year present to pensioners and seniors.
From April 1 this year, Queensland pensioners and seniors may be eligible for electricity and natural gas rebates.
Those that are eligible will receive payments back-dated to January 1, 2017.
The rebates are:
• Electricity - $329.96 per year (inclusive of GST)
• Reticulated Natural Gas - $69.73 per year (inclusive of GST)
Rebates are available to Commonwealth Health Care Card holders and asylum seekers who hold any either a Pensioner Concession Card; Queensland Seniors Card; or a Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card (and receive the War Widow/er Pension or special rate TPI Pension).
To be eligible card holders must also live alone or share their principal place of residence with (only) any of the below:
• their spouse;
• other people who hold a Pensioner Concession Card or Queensland Seniors Card;
• other people wholly dependent on them;
• other people who receive an income support payment from Centrelink, the Family Assistance Office, or the Department of Veterans' Affairs and who do not pay rent;
• other people who live with the card holder to provide care and assistance, and who do not pay rent.
For anyone living a caravan park or multi-unit residential building, they must also show that their electricity or reticulated natural gas is paid on the basis of metered consumption.
To receive the rebate card holders need to contact their gas and electricity retailers, and with their recent bill and concession card handy, discuss with the supplier how to apply for the rebates.
Where a card holder lives in an apartment complex, residential park, retirement village or a granny flat, they will need to contact the person or organisation that sends them their bill.
In the case of electricity being supplied through an Ergon card-operated meter, the card holder needs to free-call Ergon Energy Queensland on 1800 850 451.
Rebates are expected to be automatically deducted from your bill.
For more details on the scheme, call 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or visit https://www.qld.gov.au/community/cost-of-living-support/electricity-gas-rebates/