RECIPE: Salt and pepper calamari, prawns with garlic aioli
THIS is one of my favorites, very quick and easy to cook and tastes great!
- 1 cup of good quality mayonnaise (I use Cupie brand Soy Mayonnaise is the best for this recipe. You can find it in your Asian section of the supermarket)
- 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic. (I use minced garlic from the jar, it's easier)
- Mix together
SALT AND PEPPER CALAMARI AND PRAWNS
- 2 calamari hoods cleaned and cut into rings about 1cm wide
- 12 prawns peeled, leave tail intact if possible
- 1/2 cup rice flour or corn flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground pepper
- Oil for frying - bran oil is good for this recipe
Cut calamari into 1 cm rings or strips if you prefer. Just make sure not too thick. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add calamari. Toss to coat. Add prawns and toss to coat. Gently shake off excess.
Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Flash fry, in small batches, for 1 to 2 minutes or until light golden. Drain on paper towel. Serve with garlic aioli on a salad of rocket and shaved parmesan cheese with drizzle of balsamic glaze.
This recipe is gluten free (GF) if you use GF flour (rice flour or corn flour) and GF mayonnaise.