News

Rolf Harris to be released from prison

Artist and television personality Rolf Harris will be released from prison on Friday on bail and is expected to front court in London to face charges of indecent assault against three teenage girls. Picture: Matthew Lloyd
Artist and television personality Rolf Harris will be released from prison on Friday on bail and is expected to front court in London to face charges of indecent assault against three teenage girls. Picture: Matthew Lloyd

FORMER TV star Rolf Harris will be released from prison on Friday while he fights charges of indecent assault against three teenage girls.

The Australian entertainer has been serving time for previous convictions.

Harris is facing four charges of indecent assault against three girls between 1971 and 1983.

The girls were all aged 16 or under at the time Harris allegedly groped them, Southwark Crown Court in London has heard.

The 87-year-old was granted bail for these charges and will be released from Stafford Prison on Friday (London time).

He is due to appear in court on Monday, when the trial will continue.

Judge Deborah Taylor told the jury of seven women and five men that Harris "will be attending what remains of this trial in person from Monday".

Harris has been watching the court proceedings via video link from Stafford Prison in the English Midlands after receiving permission to do this because of his age.

Justice Taylor said she granted Harris bail after an application by the defence, which was not opposed by the prosecution.

The judge told the jury they should not let Harris' release on bail have any impact on their decisions in his case.

Harris has pleaded not guilty to the four charges of indecent assault.

The husband of one of the alleged victims told the court on Thursday that his wife revealed early in their relationship that Harris had "groped" her when she was 16.

"She said she had been groped by Rolf in a taxi," he told the court.

In his statement, the man said Harris' abuse had been "discussed in the family in an open way".

Harris' third alleged victim told the court Harris grabbed her breast over her shirt at a BBC studio in 1983 when she was 13.

"He slid his hand under my breast and said to me 'do you often get molested on a Saturday morning?'" she said.

The woman said she was "in shock" afterwards and "couldn't comprehend really what happened."

She said she told her sister and parents about the assault at the time but they did not believe her.

But she said she later told "countless other people" that Harris was a "pervert".

The trial, which began on Monday, is expected to last for about two weeks.
 

Topics:  editors picks general-seniors-news rolf harris

News Corp Australia

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Foregoing retirement to raise second generation

GRANDPARENTS: The NSW group Grandparents Doing It Tough are doing their to make it easier for grandparents looking after grandchildren.

Grandparents are giving up a lot to help raise their grandkids.

What's on: Coffs Coast and Clarence Valley

CANCER GALA: Paul Mercurio, star of Baz Luhrmann's Australian film Strictly Ballroom, will be the celebrity judge of the 2017 Stars of the Coffs Coast Dance for Cancer gala fundraising night at C.ex Coffs on October 28.

What's happening in your region in October and November.

Coffs seniors gather for a day of talks on dementia

Journey Through Dementia keynote speaker, geriatrician Dr Vaibhav Tyagi, his wife, GP Dr Deepti Tyagi and event organiser Jodie Kennedy.

Dementia is the second leading cause of death for people over 65.