RECIPE: Try something saucy to spice things up
STORE-bought sauces can be loaded with lots of preservatives, processed sugar and salt. Once you make your own, you will never purchase store-bought sauces again as they are easy to make and very tasty.
Homemade Spicy Barbecue Sauce
2 cups of very ripe, cooked tomatoes, pureed
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup organic molasses
1 tsp seaweed salt
1/2 tsp all spice
1 tsp chili powder (leave out if you don't want spicy sauce)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp tabasco (leave out if you don't want spicy sauce)
1/2 cup rapadura sugar
1/2 tsp mace or nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and combine. Adjust the taste by adding more salt, sugar or spices if required.
2. Pour all the ingredients into a saucepan.
3. Place over low-medium heat to dissolve the sugars.
4. Bring to a slight boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes or until sauce is at the right consistency.
5. Once ready, allow to cool, then pour into glass jar/s and store in the fridge.