RECIPE: Simple sushi
4 to 4 1/2 cups of cooked and cooled sushi rice
4-5 nori sheets
1 small cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
1 small carrot, sliced into matchsticks
1 avocado, sliced
Smoked salmon, sliced egg omelette, shredded chicken or cooked prawns
mayonnaise, to taste
Tamari, coconut aminos and/or homemade sweet chilli sauce for serving
1. Lay one nori sheet down (shiny side down) on a chopping board and smother ¾ of the sheet with the rice, use your fingers to press down evenly or the back of a spoon.
2. Lay your chosen ingredients on top of the rice in a line, and begin rolling the sushi roll firmly together.
If needed, wipe a little water onto the nori sheet (at the end of the roll) where there is no rice and continue to roll; the damp nori sheet will stick to the rest of the roll easily.
3. Continue with the rest of the nori sheets, rice and ingredients until everything has been used up. You will have four or five rolls of sushi.
4. Using a sharp knife, slice the roll into 5-6 pieces and put on a plate.
5. Serve with tamari, coconut aminos and/or homemade sweet chilli sauce as a GF option to soy sauce. Enjoy.