RECIPE: Pickles, just like the good old days!
DELIGHT your taste buds and take a walk down memory lane with these pickles, just like in the good old days!
- 5 large Lebanese cucumbers, trimmed, cut into 1mm-slices
- 2 small brown onions, halved, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- Large pinch of ground turmeric
Place the cucumber, onion and salt in a bowl. Toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap.
Place in the fridge overnight to soften. Rinse the cucumber mixture in a colander. Pat dry with paper towel.
Place vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and turmeric in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Add the cucumber mixture. Bring to a simmer.
Transfer the mixture to clean, dry glass jars. Seal and invert for 2 minutes.
Set aside for one day to develop the flavour.