TRY this hearty chicken pie the whole family will enjoy! Created by Michael Weldon, MasterChef Australia Series 3 contestant.
- 1kg Coles RSPCA Approved Chicken Thighs, cut in thirds
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stick, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 80g butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, extra
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot, extra
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery, extra
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pouring cream
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1 Continental Chicken Stock Pot
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 5 thyme sprigs, extra
- 1 sheet frozen butter puff pastry
- 1 egg
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
Combine the chicken, coarsely chopped onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and a large pinch of salt in a saucepan. Cover with water and simmer over medium heat for 10-15 mins until chicken is cooked. Transfer the chicken to a plate and use a fork to coarsely shred. Discard cooking liquid.
Preheat oven to 180C. Combine the butter, finely chopped onion, carrot and celery in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the flour and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the flour soaks up the butter. Gradually pour in the cream and milk and whisk until smooth. Add the stock pot and 1 1/4 cup water and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded chicken, lemon zest, peas and extra thyme.
Transfer the mixture to a 1 1/2 L capacity pie dish. Cover the mixture with pastry and press the edge to enclose the filling. Use a knife to cut a few slits into the pastry. Whisk the egg in a small bowl with a little water. Brush the egg mixture over the pastry. Bake for 30 mins or until top is golden. Serve with mixed salad leaves.
Preparation - 25 minutes
Cook - 50 minutes
Servings - 4