RECALL: Santa toy watch could kill or choke children

A FREE watch handed out by a shopping centre is being urgently recalled amid warnings that an accessible battery inside could choke or even kill children.

The watch supplied by Vicinity Centres is a cute Santa-themed digital watch that sits inside a bright red sweatband.

The watches contain a button battery, which have become notorious after a spate of deaths in Australia.

The ACCC warns "the small button battery inside the watch may be accessible to children".

"If young children gain access to the button batteries and ingest them, they may suffer internal burn injuries, which can result in serious illness and even death. In addition, the batteries may pose a choking hazard to young children," the ACCC wrote in its national warning.

Summer Steer, 4, died after swallowing a button-sized battery.
Summer Steer, 4, died after swallowing a button-sized battery.

The armband watches were handed out at the Dianella Plaza shopping centre and Flinders Square shopping centre -- both in Western Australia -- earlier this month.

The warning follows the shock death of Sunshine Coast Summer Steer, who became the first Australian child to die as a result of swallowing a button battery in 2013.

Her death prompted a major inquest, which led to Queensland coroner John Hutton urging governments to do more to warn families about how dangerous the batteries can be.


Meghan, Harry ‘struggling to cope’ in LA

Meghan, Harry ‘struggling to cope’ in LA

Dream of a blissful new life has quickly turned into a nightmare

Fresh confusion over virus 'detention'

Fresh confusion over virus 'detention'

Thousands of Melbourne public housing residents have been provided with "detention...

Man in iconic 9/11 photo dies from virus

Man in iconic 9/11 photo dies from virus

This man miraculously survived the 9/11 terror attacks