QUEEN Elizabeth's husband Prince Philip has been admitted to hospital in London.
The 96-year-old Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital ahead of planned surgery on his hip, which is scheduled for tomorrow.
News of his trip to hospital comes after he missed three public events in the past 10 days due to ongoing problems with his hip.
Buckingham Palace issued a brief statement confirming his admittance to the hospital in central London.
"Further updates will be issued when appropriate,'' a royal communications spokesperson said.
Prince Philip retired from public life in August last year due to his advancing age but still makes occasional appearances with his wife of 70 years.
He missed two church services with the Queen over Easter and was also unable to attend an event the previous week at Windsor Castle, where he was to formally hand over his role as Colonel of the Grenadier Guards to his son, Prince Andrew.
However, he was seen riding a horse and buggy around the grounds of the Windsor Great Park early last week, and royal watchers do not have major concerns for his health.
The advanced years of Prince Philip and the Queen - who turns 92 on April 21 - have seen the younger members of the royal family step up and increase their public appearances and responsibilities.
Prince Charles and his wife Camilla are currently in Australia attending the Commonwealth Games on behalf of the Queen, and Prince Charles will also represent his mother at Anzac Day commemorations for Australian soldiers in France.
Prince Philip spent two days in the King Edward VII hospital in June last year after contracting an infection for an unexplained "pre-existing condition.''
Buckingham Palace said the visit was precautionary, and he was taken to hospital after feeling unwell at Windsor Castle, several hours after attending the Royal Ascot races.
At the time, the palace said he was in good spirits and disappointed to miss further Ascot racing days and the state opening of Parliament at the Palaces of Westminster.
In August 2012 he was also admitted to hospital for treatment for a recurring bladder infection.
He was taken by ambulance from Balmoral, the private residence he shares with the Queen in Scotland, to the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, where he spent several days.
The infection first emerged in early June of that year and led him to miss the Queen's Diamond Jubilee concert, as he again spent time in King Edward VII Hospital treating the infection.