Prawns with mango and avocado salsa
LAST Christmas we had the full ham and turkey extravaganza; I went to some trouble to source ethically produced meat (at great expense). Although I had a sit-down lunch for 15, we had lots left over. More on that next week, when I'll be giving you a recipe for a delicious way to use leftover ham.
Meanwhile, at Chez Cooper, this year we are eating a meal that will leave nothing but clean bowls, I hope.
Prawns are never cheap and certainly not at this time of year. However, it's still going to cost me a great deal less this year to serve this delicious blend of flavours.
For a number of reasons (family requirements, mostly) I am serving this dish with cauliflower rice; you can do the same or just substitute steamed jasmine rice.
- 1/2 cauliflower OR 2 cups steamed jasmine rice
- 5 tbsp good olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco (optional)
- 2 large ripe avocadoes
- 2 large mangoes
- 1 small red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander or mint
- 750g raw prawns, shelled and deveined, tails on, patted dry with paper towels
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak 12 bamboo skewers in water for at least an hour before cooking.
- Cut cauliflower into florets and pulse in a food processor until it resembles rice. Set aside.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the oil with the lime juice and Tabasco (if using). Dice avocado and mango flesh and place in a small glass or ceramic bowl and toss in the dressing. Stir in capsicum and coriander or mint. Cover and refrigerate.
- Place cauliflower rice in a frypan with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Sauté over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, then cover with a lid and allow to steam for another five minutes, stirring often.
- While cauliflower rice is cooking, preheat barbecue to medium. Thread prawns onto skewers and brush with remaining olive oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide cauliflower rice (or jasmine rice, if using) between six bowls. Divide prawns between the bowls and add salsa. Serve immediately.
SERVES - 6