Pork, prune and port casserole
THIS pork casserole recipe has been designed to be cooked in a slow cooker, although instructions are also given for cooking in the oven or stove top.
- Place flour in a shallow dish.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat pork in flour.
- Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add pork, in small batches, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned.
- Transfer to a plate, cover and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Spoon into slow cooker.
- Add port, water, prunes, thyme and pork.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 4 hours or until meat is tender and sauce is thick.
- 1/2 cup plain flour.
- 1.5kg shoulder of pork, diced.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 large brown onion, cut into thin wedges.
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed.
- 1 cup port or prune juice.
- 1/2 cup water.
- 375g pitted prunes.
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves.
Preparation time - 15 minutes.
Cooking time - 3 hours, 20 minutes.
Serves - 6.