Oh so sweet potato and pecan pies
TRY these delightfully sweet and simple pies at any time of the day.
- 1½ cups (225g) plain flour.
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar.
- 125g cold butter, chopped.
- 1 egg yolk.
- 1-2 tablespoons iced water.
- 500g Sweet Potato, peeled, chopped.
- Half cup (110g) brown sugar.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Half teaspoon ground ginger.
- Quarter teaspoon nutmeg.
- 1 cup (250ml) pouring cream.
- 2 eggs.
- Half cup chopped pecans.
- Whipped cream and maple syrup, to serve.
- Grease six 10cm loose based fluted tart tins.
- Process flour, icing sugar and butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk and enough of the water to make dough come together. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 ºC /180 ºC. Meanwhile, steam sweet potato until tender. Cool 10 minutes.
- Divide pastry into six portions. Roll out each and line tins. Chill for 15 minutes. Line pastry with baking paper, fill with dried beans or rice. Bake 10 minutes; remove paper and beans. Bake 5 minutes or until browned lightly.
- Reduce oven to 180 ºC /160 ºC.
- Blend or process sweet potato with sugar, paste, spices, cream and eggs until smooth.
- Pour mixture into pastry cases. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until set.
- Cool to room temperature before chilling until firm.
- Serve topped with whipped cream and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Preparation: 35 minutes
Cooking: 45 minutes