Mac 'n' cheese parmesan tray bake
THIS easy macaroni cheese and chicken parmigiana mash-up is impossible to resist.
- Place the chicken on a chopping board.
- Put the palm of your hand on the top of the breast and use a long, sharp knife to carefully slice in half, horizontally.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken breast to make 4 fillets.
- Place the chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and use a meat tenderiser or rolling pin to gently pound the chicken until it's 1cm thick.
- Combine the flour and oregano on a plate and season. Whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Place the breadcrumbs on a separate plate.
- Toss the chicken in the flour to coat, shaking to remove excess.
- Dip in the egg, then press into the breadcrumbs.
- Transfer the crumbed chicken to a large plate.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until required.
- Meanwhile, to make the mac and cheese, cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling water for 8-10 minutes or until almost cooked through.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan on medium-high heat until foaming.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the mixture bubbles.
- Gradually stir in the milk and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the cheese until it has melted.
- Add the macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir well to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan forced.
- Lightly grease a 3L (12 cup) 5cm-deep, 20 x 30cm baking dish.
- Transfer the macaroni mixture to the prepared dish and set aside.
- Pour enough oil into a large frying pan to come about 1cm up the side.
- Heat over medium-high heat.
- Add two chicken pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden.
- Lay the cooked chicken over the macaroni.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Spoon over the pasta sauce.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Sprinkle with basil.
- 185ml (3/4 cup) napoletana pasta sauce
- Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- 140g (2 cups) fresh breadcrumbs, made from day-old bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- 2 (about 600g) chicken breast filletS
- 55g (1/2 cup) grated perfect pizza cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
For the Mac and Cheese 200g dried macaroni pasta
- 40g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
- 150g (1 1/2 cups) perfect pizza cheese
- 15 minutes
- 45 minutes