INCONTINENCE: It can be treated with help from your GP.
INCONTINENCE: It can be treated with help from your GP.

Losing control? The Continence Foundation wants to help

AS YOU grow older, problems with losing control of your bladder and bowel can increase. This involuntary loss of control is known as 'incontinence'.

Many people feel embarrassed or ashamed to talk about these problems. But if you experience incontinence, it is important to remember that you are not alone.

According to the Continence Foundation of Australia, almost 4.8million Australians are affected by incontinence.

Whether you're living in your own home or in an aged care home, there are services that can help.

What is incontinence?

There are two types of incontinence:

- Involuntary loss of bladder control (urinary incontinence)

- Involuntary loss of bowel control (faecal incontinence)

Urinary incontinence

Urinary incontinence is a common condition that has many causes and includes four main types:

- Stress incontinence - leaking of small amounts of urine from the bladder

- Urge incontinence - loss of urine associated with a sudden and strong need to empty your bladder

- Overflow incontinence - leaking of small amounts of urine from the bladder as a result of the bladder not emptying properly

- Functional incontinence - when physical or cognitive problems prevent you from getting to the toilet on time to empty your bladder

Faecal incontinence

Faecal incontinence is more common as you grow older. This type of incontinence is sometimes referred to as anal incontinence and includes involuntary loss of flatus or 'wind'.

There are many causes for urinary and faecal incontinence and help is available to manage both conditions.

Who can help?

If you have problems with bladder or bowel control, it is a good idea to speak to your doctor.

Your doctor may be able to suggest different treatments, review and prescribe medication, order clinical tests and refer you to a specialist, continence nurse adviser or continence physiotherapist.

When you're visiting your doctor it may help to take along information such as:

- How often the incontinence occurs

- Whether it's urinary or faecal incontinence

- When it started

- Times of the day when the incontinence is worse

- Whether there's complete saturation or just a small amount of urine or faeces

- Whether you have had a fever or found it painful to go to the toilet

- What medication you're taking, if any

Pharmacists may also be able to provide advice on incontinence products that are available for purchase.

Continence services and clinics

These are specialist services where you can obtain a full assessment of your bladder or bowel problems.

These services usually have a continence nurse adviser or continence physiotherapist who can advise you as to possible management options.

National Continence Helpline

Qualified continence nurse advisers can give you confidential, expert advice through via the helpline.

You can also ask about continence products, federal and state government subsidy schemes and printed information resources about incontinence that can be posted to you.

The Helpline can also give you information about your local continence service or clinic. Phone National Continence Helpline on 1800330066.

Continence subsidy schemes

Visit the Australian Government Bladder Bowel website for details on the Continence Aids Payment Scheme or call the National Continence Helpline.

Different schemes are available in each state and territory to help with continence aids and appliances.

Each scheme has its own rules for eligibility and a financial limit on the amount of supplies provided. Visit the Continence Foundation of Australia site for details.

Resources and support

There are a number of useful online resources that provide more information about incontinence and the help that is available including:

Bladder Bowel website - an Australian Government website that provides information on the prevention, management and treatment of bladder and bowel problems, as well as the Continence Aids Payment Scheme

Continence Foundation of Australia - the national peak body promoting bladder and bowel health.

National Public Toilet Map - shows the location of more than 16,000 public and private toilet facilities across Australia.

Meghan, Harry ‘struggling to cope’ in LA

Meghan, Harry ‘struggling to cope’ in LA

Dream of a blissful new life has quickly turned into a nightmare

Fresh confusion over virus 'detention'

Fresh confusion over virus 'detention'

Thousands of Melbourne public housing residents have been provided with "detention...

Man in iconic 9/11 photo dies from virus

Man in iconic 9/11 photo dies from virus

This man miraculously survived the 9/11 terror attacks