Leftovers: try these ham and zucchini fritters
HERE'S an easy, tasty way to use up all that leftover ham rather than just sandwiches.
Now, there's nothing wrong with a ham sambo (particularly when slathered with home-made pickles or chutney), but about four days after Christmas I'm over them for a while.
Last year I sliced and diced the remaining meat left on the free-range leg I bought and froze it in portions. It lasted well into March with no appreciable loss of quality or taste.
These fritters are simple to make and hit the spot for a light lunch or a tasty dinner when accompanied by a salad and a slice or two of crusty bread. And I can't see any reason why you couldn't use leftover turkey, salmon or prawns if that's what you have in your post-celebration fridge.
It's important to be aware of proper storage for leftover meat; don't leave it out in the heat after lunch but chill it quickly.
A very Merry Christmas to all our readers.
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 125g brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup chopped leg ham, fat removed
- 1 zucchini, grated finely
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 5 tblsp olive oil, DIVIDED
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Combine yoghurt, garlic and one tablespoon of the olive oil in a small glass or china bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk eggs and milk. Add to flour, stirring until smooth. Add cooked rice, ham, zucchini and green onions (reserve some for garnish). Stir gently to combine.
- Heat a non-stick frypan with remaining olive oil over medium heat.
- Place large spoonfuls of the mixture into frypan, flattening slightly with a spatula. Cook for 3-4 minutes until fritters begin to set and edges start to brown. Turn carefully and cook other side for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Arrange fritters on plates. Drizzle with yoghurt sauce and scatter with remaining green onion.
SERVES - 4