Masterclass on making the best retirement decisions
MOVING into retirement is a new world in which there are many decisions to be made that will affect where a person lives and what money they will have to live on.
During February and March, Lend Lease Queensland is holding a series of retirement living masterclasses at four of its retirement villages to assist with the retirement decision-making process.
Anyone aged 55 and over, retired or planning to retire, can attend a presentation.
The sessions are also open to family members who are interested to know more about retirement living.
A panel of experts will address a range of issues including what retirement living is all about, how to sell a home to get the best value for it, village contracts types, entry and exit fees and the Queensland Retirement Villages Act.
The panel experts are:
- Andrew Winter from Selling Houses Australia who will focus on the retirement process, moving from out in the community and into a retirement village.
- Tim Wallace from Home Suite will talk about matching attendees with real estate agents so that they can sell their home.
- A local lawyer, who is an expert in retirement living, will attend each presentation, to discuss contract concerns.
Lend Lease's retirement village regional manager Queensland, Mark Criddle, said the panel will also include village residents and staff.
"We find the residents, particularly, are able to answer from their own experiences, questions about village life," Mr Criddle said.
"The staff are there to add their version of the positive things that happen when people move into a village, such as the services provided and the lifestyle, and the relationships that come about because of village life versus them being out in the community."
The format for the sessions include both presentations and time for questions.
Some of the most common questions that are posed at similar sessions have been:
- How do I go from living in a five-bedroom, three-bathroom home into a two-bedroom with a single garage and where do I begin to do that?
- What do I do with all of my things?
- How do I put my house on the market?
- Will I miss having all the space?
- What's it like moving into a community?
- How do I understand the contracts and payment structure?
- Which type of village is right?
The two-hour sessions are free and will be held at:
- Hibiscus Chancellor Park, Sippy Downs, Sunshine Coast - 2pm, February 28.
- The Terraces Retirement Village, Forest Lake - 2pm, March 6.
- Eaglemount Retirement Resort Village, Mackay - 2pm, March 7.
- Hibiscus Buderim Meadows Buderim Meadows, Sunshine Coast - 10am, March 10.
Bookings are required and made by calling 1800 550 550 or going online to www.discoveryseries.com.au.