History of basketball on the Sunshine Coast
AS PART of the Country Cup competitions held in Nambour in August 1946, teams from Cunnamulla and Quilpie played against local teams.
There were seven girls in a team in the 1940s.
The game has become much faster with only five in a team at present. In the 1910s there were nine girls per team.
Families fundraised to send the teams away for the competitions.
Descendants of South Sea Islanders were very good sports men and women.
The Nambour Chronicle lists Maroochy A (all blacks) also as a team in the competition. Surnames of South Sea Islanders making up teams at Nambour in 1946 were Robe, Byquar, Dannie, and Davis.
Women Netballers aspire to belong, enjoy, develop and excel. Netball has a vigorous history.
Church groups began basket ball competitions for young ladies as early as the 1910s.
The Queensland Ladies Basket Ball Association was founded by Mrs McGregor-Lowndes MBE in 1920.
She also founded the McGregor-Lowndes Country Cup for which only country teams competed each year.
Teams from all over the state competed usually in Brisbane for the honour of winning.
These competitions continued into the 1950s but excluded the years of World War Two when the government placed restrictions on travelling groups.
After World War II, in 1946, the Maroochy Basket Ball Association was formed and teams competed for the "W.Potter" trophy.
W Potter was Nambour's well known shoe repairer and boot maker and also a keen supporter and referee at matches. Buderim was the trophy winner that year.
Later on, other shields and trophies were awarded for teams not competing in the Country Cup.
Dalby won the Country Cup in 1946.
In 1947 six hundred players assembled in Toowoomba to compete for the Country Cup and the Jersey Icecream Cup and Caboolture won.
Of course, all this is history.