Handy hints for happy mobility scooter riding
FOR best use of a mobility scooter, follow these tips:
1. For tyre pressures, front tyres should be inflated to 30 PSI, while rear tyres should be 32 PSI.
2. Charge your scooter daily, thereby prolonging the battery's lifespan.
3. Where possible, use a powerboard with surge protection between the power point and the charger.
4. Servicing of your scooter usually is required annually, by a qualified technician.
5. Where possible, always use the variable-speed knob to just under maximum. This prevents the scooter from unnecessary overheating.
6. Do not use your mobility scooter in offroad settings. Use it on concrete footpaths or roadways. Never use it on uneven ground or on steep inclines. If you do, serious injury may occur. The design of mobility scooters is for gradients up to 10 degrees only.
7. Use pedestrian pathways and crossings at all times, not the roadways.
8. We advise that you register your scooter with the Main Roads Department. This is free and covers you for any third-party liability. You will be required to affirm that you are competent to use a mobility scooter, as well as stating that you will only travel at less than 10km/h, or less than 5km/h in a shopping centre.
9. The RACQ provides a free community service, changing your tyre if one of yours goes flat. So it is a good idea to carry a spare tube for all pneumatic tyres.
(Information provided by a qualified designer and technician at Sensible Health)