PET support program Golden Hearts breaks down the barriers that often stand in the way of seniors owning or continuing to own pets.
The unique Australian Welfare League Queensland program looks to rehouse 'golden', or older animals in a welcoming new home. Adoption costs are waived for seniors who sign up for the free program which is open to pet owners aged 65 and older.
Golden Hearts program members receive special program services and discounts including:
- A pet matching service which helps people looking to adopt a pet, organises an experienced team member to visit a Senior to establish with them the type of dog or cat they are looking for.
- Short term emergency pet care service for hospital support or seniors moving into aged-care who can't take their pet with them.
- The Legacy Pets program option which ensures that if you die your pet will be placed with an adoptive family and always be under the care and protection of AWLQ.
- Vet care discounts of 50 per cent off annual vaccinations at AWLQ community vet clinics, 10 per cent off 10 per cent off all AWLQ community vet clinic services including consultations, all in-house surgery, dental scale and polish, microchipping, nail clipping and de-sexing.
- Pet product discounts of 10 per cent off all pet food and pet products sold at AWLQ community vet clinics and rehoming centres.
- Ongoing pet support from the Golden Hearts team.
The program is currently based out of AWLQ's four south-east Queensland sites - Coombabah, Beenleigh, Willawong and Warra.
To find out more, call (07) 5509 9033.