Get a dose of creativity at Craft and Quilt Fair
THIS year's Brisbane Craft & Quilt Fair, October 7-11 at Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre will celebrate its 21st birthday featuring the latest trends including adult colouring-in, textile and wearable art, embroidery, knitting, paper craft, vintage fashion and a stunning array of quilts.
This year's quilt exhibition features True Blue and the Lest We Forget Quilt Challenge - 100 years, 100 quilts, plus a stunning display of local works by Queensland Quilters Inc.
The True Blue challenge features 35 interpretations of the theme, ranging from iconic Australian scenes and Blue Heelers to shades of blue, images of depression, sporting heroes and will feature seven quilts by Queensland entrants.
Of note is Queensland artist, Jeannie Henry's True Blue Jacko the Kookaburra quilt which was awarded the prestigious first prize at the 2015 Australasian Quilt Convention for her striking and intricate lifelike artwork which captures the beloved Australian Kookaburra's brilliant blue, lustrous feathers and lovable charm.
Wearable art is another must-see drawcard at this year's fair, with an Art U Wear exhibition based on the theme, Iconic Australia.
Queensland's vintage-style guru, Miss Chrissy from The Lindy Charm School For Girls will share her Make Do and Mend styling tips and tricks and fuse these with the modern fashionista world to create new takes on old looks; transforming them effortlessly into an independently glamorous and individually chic look.
The display of soft sculptured birds in the "Make a Birdie" exhibit will inspire crafters to spread their creative wings and feather their nest with something handmade.
A highlight of the show will be a display of vintage and new Japanese boro textiles with items from Jane MacDonald from BeBeBold: Japanese Textiles & Craft and Shuji Yamazaki of Wabi-Sabi Designs showcasing the beauty of aged textiles and how this technique can be used in new work.
- Brisbane Craft & Quilt Fair, Wednesday, October 7, - Sunday, October 11.
- Open daily: 9am - 4:30pm.
- Admission: Adults $18, Age & Disability Pensioners $16, Seniors Card holders $17, Children (from 5 to 16 years) $9. Family (2A + 2C) $42. Children under 5 years Free.
- Where: Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre, South Bank.
- Show admission tickets can be bought on the day or online.
- To learn more and book a ticket online in advance and save, please visit http://www.craftevents.com.au. #craftandquiltfair.