A CONSUMER advocate group has referred 87 burns cases involving Thermomix cookers to the consumer watchdog for investigation.
Choice has made the referrals in a "mass incident report" to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.
Up to 18 of the 87 people burned required medical treatment, including some who had permanent scarring or were hospitalised.
Fairfax reported in March how a Perth mother suffered second-degree burns to her chest, arms and stomach after a popular kitchen appliance unexpectedly burst open.
Danika Jones said she was cooking a pasta sauce in her Thermomix in January when the lid flew open and splattered burning hot liquid all over her upper body.
"I had popped the pasta sauce ingredients in the Thermomix using the same recipe I've used every week since I bought the machine more than two years ago," she told Fairfax.
"Towards the end of the process, it was pureeing the sauce when it started making a funny noise and vibrating.
'Imagine if my kids had been on the kitchen bench,' Ms Jones' said.
"I walked over to turn it off and as I did that, it just exploded - the lid blew off and hot liquid went everywhere, all over me. The pain was intense."
Choice spokesman Tom Godfrey said it appeared Thermomix had not made at least two expected reports on the dangers linked to its TM31 machine.