Cheesy mash-topped meatloaf
THIS meatloaf with mashed potato and peas is practically a meal in one!
- Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic.
- Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the mashed potato:
- Cook potato in a saucepan of boiling, salted water for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well.
- Return to pan over low heat.
- Add 40g butter and milk.
- Mash until smooth.
- Add cheese.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced.
- Grease a 7cm-deep, 11cm x 21cm loaf pan.
- Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above edges of pan.
- Place mince, peas, egg, breadcrumbs, barbecue sauce, tomato sauce, parsley and onion mixture in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared pan, pressing with the back of spoon to level.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until browned and almost cooked through.
- Remove from oven.
- Increase temperature to 200C/180C fan-forced.
- Spoon mashed potato on top of meatloaf.
- Dot with remaining butter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until potato is golden.
- Stand meatloaf in pan for 10 minutes.
- Lift onto a plate.
- Serve cut into slices with gravy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped.
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed.
- 750g beef mince.
- 1/2 cup frozen peas.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten.
- 3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs.
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce.
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves.
- Gravy, to serve.
- 750g desiree potatoes, peeled, chopped.
- 50g butter, chopped.
- 1/4 cup milk.
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar.
- 15 minutes
- 1 hour, 10 minutes