Be prepared for coming weather
With the current weather predictions for storms over the next few days, now is the time to ensure that you, your family and your home are prepared for bad weather.
The Queensland Government website Get Ready Queensland offers advice on preparing your family and home, pet emergency planning and information for boaters. A number of fact sheets are available through this website and some of the key messages for preparing your home when a severe weather warning is issued include:
• Disconnect electrical appliances and all external television and radio aerials.
• Turn off electricity and gas main supplies if instructed by emergency authorities. • Secure outdoor furniture and other garden items.
• Fill buckets and bath with clean water in case of interruptions to main supply.
• Close windows with shutters, or use strong tape in a criss-crossing pattern and draw curtains. • Park vehicles under cover, away from trees, powerlines and waterways.
• If you cannot access undercover shelter for your vehicles, secure with firmly tied blankets to minimise hail damage.
• Check all household members are safe and are in the strongest room in the house.
• Take your emergency kit in with you whilst sheltering from the storm or cyclone
• Tune in and listen to your local radio station for updates on the event and further warnings and safety messages.