THE family of 83-year-old Antonios "Anton" Crocaris has paid tribute to him after he succumbed to injuries sustained in the Flinders St vehicle attack last week.
Victoria Police confirmed the Northcote man died at 11:30pm last night in hospital.
His death makes Crocaris the only fatality so far after accused driver Saeed Noori, allegedly ploughed into pedestrians on December 21. A total of 19 people were treated in hospital following the attack with six still yet to be released.
Noori has been charged with 18 counts of attempted murder and one count of conduct endangering life.
"Homicide Squad detectives are expected to upgrade one of those charges to murder," Victoria Police said in a statement.
Crocaris' family said they would "never fully recover from this loss".
"Our father Anton had his life cruelly taken away in a senseless act of violence. These circumstances are devastating to our family. Dad is simply irreplaceable and we will never fully recover from this loss," the statement said. "He was a beloved husband of Elizabeth (dec), adored father of Freda, Tony and Bill, and cherished grandfather of Verity, Lysander and Jackson".
"Friend to all and proud citizen of Australia," the family statement continued. "Our deepest gratitude to the wonderful people of Melbourne and dedicated first responders who rendered him and others every assistance. Special mention to the caring staff of The Alfred Intensive Care Unit".
The statement ended by saying, "our dad, our hero".
Police said there were still a "large number of people" that have not yet contacted to be interviewed.
"If you haven't yet been contacted by police, please remain patient while investigators work through the callers list," police said.
Those who need assistance coping can call the Victims of Crime Helpline on 1800 819 817