Agnes Waters dawn service 2016

Agnes Waters commemorates Australia's fallen soldiers

IN May, 1770, Captain James Cook and the crew of HM Bark Endevour made their second landing on what is now a village called Seventeen Seventy near Agnes Waters, on the east coast of Queensland.

Australian and New Zealand Army Corps soldiers landed on the Gallipoli Peninsula 145 years later before giving the ultimate sacrifice to protect the great land Captain Cook once found.

Over 100 Agnes Waters' locals attended this morning's Anzac Day service to remember those soldiers, who lost their lives on the shores of Turkey, 101 years ago.

Jarrod Grave, 15, wore his great uncle's medals "to remember" and honour the Vietnam veteran.

"During the one minute silence I thought of the soldiers and their sacrifice during the war," he said.

In 2014, Jarrod and his family visited the former war zones in Vietnam with his great uncle, Peter "Jack" Trease.

They spent 21 days viewing the memorials where he fought, including the site of The Battle of Long Tan which took place near Long Tan, in Phuoc Tuy Province, South Vietnam in August 1966.

IN MEMORY: Jarrod and Haydon Grave honour their great uncle at the Agnes Waters dawn service.
IN MEMORY: Jarrod and Haydon Grave honour their great uncle at the Agnes Waters dawn service.

Going by his nickname, Jack, the former soldier was threatened with a charge by a Vietnamese officer in 1970 while operating as a machine gunner to a platoon of South Vietnamese infantry for an operation against the Viet Cong.

He was threatened for listening to a transistor radio, as this deployment coincided with "the most famous" AFL Grand Final - the 1970 great Carlton comeback against Collingwood.

"I hid the transistor in my pocket to listen to Radio Australia's call of the famous Grand Final," he said in an open letter to the Carlton Football Club.

"I was listening to a radio with an earplug and not concentrating on the more important issues close by, such as not being alert to the enemy in dense jungle.

"It was about half-time when I suggested to [the officer] that my team was hopelessly behind and if they won I would give him the damn radio - and more!

"When the final siren rang we stopped for a usual leech check to remove unwanted 'attachments,' I let out an almighty yell and was immediately threatened with a charge."

Jack and his wife now live in retirement on Magnetic Island.

Meghan, Harry ‘struggling to cope’ in LA

Meghan, Harry ‘struggling to cope’ in LA

Dream of a blissful new life has quickly turned into a nightmare

Fresh confusion over virus 'detention'

Fresh confusion over virus 'detention'

Thousands of Melbourne public housing residents have been provided with "detention...

Man in iconic 9/11 photo dies from virus

Man in iconic 9/11 photo dies from virus

This man miraculously survived the 9/11 terror attacks