Aged care residents dead as gastro outbreak hits QLD
TWO residents of a Queensland aged care facility have died following a gastro outbreak hitting Australia's east coast.
Queensland Health has confirmed the deaths but the Regis facility in Yeronga denies gastro was the cause, Nine Network reported on Thursday. Families of the dead want Queensland Health to investigate the facility and another at Wynnum.
Now a number of child and aged care facilities across Melbourne have been hit with the highly contagious stomach flu.
According to the Herald Sun, 80 per cent of these cases are from aged care homes and services, with some being quarantined in an effort to contain the rapidly spreading illness.
"It's reasonable to say in the last fortnight we've had 20 facilities (affected)," said Department of Health and Human Services spokesman, Bram Alexandra.
After three of the Bupa's Melbourne residents presented symptoms of gastro, spokeswoman Amy McNaughton advised caution to the public asking them to avoid visiting the home unless completely necessary.
"The health and wellbeing of our residents and team members is our priority, and our dedicated care team is ensuring all of our residents are receiving the best possible care during this time," Ms McNaughton said.
More than 1900 people in NSW sought help from NSW emergency departments last week - more than 400 of those admitted to hospital.
NSW Health said there was a 34 per cent increase in viral gastroenteritis notifications across the state over the previous year.
Gastro is an infection of the gut which typically causes diarrhoea and vomiting and should only last for a few days.
According to Health Direct infectious gastro spreads very easily through contact with an infected person or even through contaminated food or water.