Add this German potato salad to your summer table
THIS German potato salad is a delicious twist on a BBQ classic and perfect side dish for summer meals.
- 1kg baby chat potatoes
- 2 rashes bacon, cut into short matchsticks
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
Quick pickled onion
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 red onion thinly sliced, into rounds
- ½ cup (120g) sour cream
- ¼ cup (75g) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons seeded mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of cold salted water.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Cut in half and place in a large bowl.
2. Pickled onion
- While the potato is cooking, place the vinegar and sugar in a small bowl and whisk to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the onion and set aside for 5 minutes.
- To make the dressing, place sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, chives, salt and pepper.
- Drain onion pickling liquid into the dressing and reserve the onions.
- Whisk dressing to combine.
- Add most of the dressing to potatoes, and toss to combine.
- Place potatoes on a platter with the pickled onion.
4. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook bacon for 4-5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Drain. Sprinkle over the salad.
5. Top salad with eggs and drizzle with the remaining dressing. Serve scattered with mint.
SERVES - 6 to 8, as a side dish.
- Serve potato salad with roast or barbecued meats.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the bacon.